Les amis de l'Orgue de Saint-Martin

Montbéliard

Accueil > Temple > Construction
Accueil
Le temple Saint-Martin
L'orgue
Les manifestations
L'association


Information légales

The making of the building

Auf Französich

From 1601 to 1607, the Saint Martin building site is supervised by Heinrich Schckhardt: the interior fittings continue from 1609 to 1615 and the building of the wooden bell tower in 1677 puts an end to the construction of the church.
The foundation work starts on January 14th 1601. The first stone is laid on March 5th 1601: a copper plate is put in the stone with some coins and a list of the authorities of the time.
On May 4th, sixteen people work on the site.
The construction needs 21,223 carved or sculpted stones, bound with lime, sand or lead.
These stones come from some quarries, quite far away from Montbéliard.
Ten kilometres from there, the quarry of Vandoncourt supplies the «white stone» or wall limestone: the sandstone «of the Vosges» or «red stone» of the great doors and of the pilasters basis is extracted from the quarries in the Haute Saône – Chagey and Champey.
The greyish sandstone which makes up the window framework comes from another quarry in Chagey.
The stone is flaked by the masons before being carried to the church site.
The masons are still working there when a carpenter from Stutgart is required in 1602 to make 500 roofing timbers.
The fir tree woods bought in the surroundings of Porrentruy are delivered in 1604.
The timber is brought up between 4th and 22nd August 1604. The roof is made up of 59,456 tiles from the Montbéliard and Héricourt tileries.
After the shell of the building at the end of 1605, the works are completed on September 15th 1607.
The construction of the evengelical church will have lasted six years and nine months.
Its dedication takes place on October 18th 1607. In 1615, the timber is reinforced, ten dormer windows are opened, the tile roofing is mended, some caves are built over the cornice front of the West façade.
The building materials such as iron, nails, boards and lime come from the Bart ironworks, the Vandoncourt nail factory and the Bart lime kiln.
The principality funds provide half of the building cost, estimated at 25,636 «francs forts», Stuttgart finances provide 14.6% and the rest is given by patrons and subscribers such as senior civil servants.